This interview style course uses case studies to substantiate the need and the approach for Smart City professionals and Application Designers/Developers to integrate security into IoT products and solutions.
As you walk the streets of the “smart” city, you don’t even realize the proliferation of the network and IoT. The integrated municipal network at the core delivers power and water and monitors the street lights. Smile, because cameras are watching your every move, for crime prevention as well as crowd control. Traffic signals adjust based on the number of cars, and e-parking assists you in finding the right spot. Day to day life is on the Internet, unless the Internet should become unavailable. Information is the currency in the smart city, but what if it all of a sudden disappears?
Attacks against the integrated municipal network shut down the power and water, and a city without power and water is a dead city. Even if the power is restored, an attacker in control of a city’s traffic signals could disrupt life and public safety. In the smart city, technology is a pillar of infrastructure. If that technology is not properly secured from the beginning and the pieces of the smart city disappear, chaos ensues.
Smart cities are about the information, but their construction is missing a crucial piece: security.
- Duration: One hour – Offered in a fast-paced, interactive, web-based session
- Size: Unlimited
The following are the recommended prerequisites for this course:
- General understanding of the Internet of Things (IoT)
At the end of this workshop, the participants should be able to:
- Understand the concept of “Build Security In”
- Explore an IoT in Smart Cities Use Case
- Identify security challenges associated with Internet-ready devices and services
- Identify the IoT security paradigm shift and the specific impact it has on manufacturers, products and the more general impact on the Smart City community
- Describe how an IoT Secure Development Lifecycle (SDL) helps mitigate threats and create secure IoT Smart Cities products